On the move? Don’t forget to share your new address with friends and family by sending a thoughtful card or e-mail. Here are eight ways to stand out among a cluttered mailbox (or inbox).
1. Just like the good old days: It sounds obvious, but a handwritten note is a pleasant surprise in this digital age. Buy a box of attractive moving announcements at your local brick-and-mortar stationery store, and personalize your note with a snapshot of you in front of your new house.
2. Keep it custom: Sites like Shutterfly, Tiny Prints and Minted offer customized moving announcements in an abundance of stylish designs. Bonus: Some sites will mail your cards directly to your recipients, saving you a trip to the post office.
3. Go old school: Scour eBay for vintage postcards from your new home state (search “Greetings from” to find those nostalgic favorites.). Jot or stamp your new address on the back and — voila! — instant moving announcements, retro-style.
4. Postcards without the pen: With the ByPost Postcard Maker app, you can create and send honest-to-goodness printed “We’ve moved” postcards from your iPhone. Just upload a photo from your image library, design your postcard, choose recipients from your address book and hit send; in a few days, the cards will arrive in your friends’ mailboxes. Similarly, the Ink Cards app allows you to create and mail personalized photo greeting cards from your iPhone or iPad.
5. Get crafty: Pinterest is chock-full of creative DIY moving announcement ideas. A few of the most popular pins: using classic manila shipping tags as cards; making postcards out of moving-box scraps cut to size; or crafting cards, using printed Google maps that have your new address pinpointed.
6. Go digital: Sure, you could send a plain old email, but more interactive (read: more fun!) options are just a point and click away. American Greetings, Blue Mountain and Hallmark have selections of free e-cards and also offer monthly or annual memberships that grant you full access to their collections of talking, singing and music-playing messages for any occasion.
8. Dare to be different: Make sure your new address sticks by sending a photo magnet bearing your new contact info and a snapshot of your family in your new digs. You can order them via Vistaprint, TinyPrints or Shutterfly.